Thursday, April 19, 2007

Don't use new Realtors!! Why should you?

Do you recognize this man? If not you probably live under a rock, or possible inside one. Can you believe that there was a time when even this guy was new to the game? Yet, NOBODY wants to give the new guy a chance. What do you think would have happened if no one gave "The Donald" a chance? A lot of people would have missed out on A LOT of money. See the thing is experience doesn't build creative thought, thinking outside the box, or how to look at things in a new way. It just builds repetition, that's it. So why do so many people refuse to use a new Realtor? Why? Because they just don't know what they are doing right??!! It's that simple!! Or is it? Ask yourself this, who is more creative and motivated, the new guy or the guy that has been doing this for 20yrs? Who do you think is actually going to work harder for you and really earn your business? My money is on the new guy.
But wait it's not that simple either. See, a lot of people new to a profession, whether it be real estate or auto mechanic, think they know it all. That's a fatal mistake, these guys will get you in trouble. You have to be educated yes, but you also have to be responsible and intelligent enough to realize you don't know everything. No one does. Especially in this game of real estate, laws and guidelines change everyday. Which is why sometimes the ones that make the biggest mistakes are the ones who have been around the longest because they feel like they do know it all.
I'll share a personal experience with you. On my very first deal as a sellers agent I was in negotiations with a buyers agent that had been doing real estate for 20yrs. Naturally you would think that the senior agent had the upper hand in negotiation right? Wrong! Not only did I negotiate a better deal for my client, the other agent made a fatal mistake they could have potentially cost her client thousands and thousands of dollars. Why did she make this mistake? I honestly don't know. But I do know that I was educated to catch the mistake.
Anyway, I'll let you be for now as I don't want to take up too much of your time today. But in closing I ask you to remember this; experience is great but I'll take motivation and action any day over blind experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me, the years of experience aren't as important as their knowledge of the business and whether or not they act professionally.

Oh, and the guy who gave "the Donald" his first chance happened to be his own dad.

Sergeant Real Estate said...

Bryce,

I couldn't agree with you more, I'll take knowledge over experience any day.

And true, Donalds dad was very wealthy already, but it was actually a lawyer by the name of George H. Ross that helped him put his first deals together. George was already big time when the Donald stepped in his office. But there was just something about Donald that made George agree to work with him. It really had nothing to do with his dad, at least that's what George says in his book.

Thanks for the comments Bryce. Hope to hear more from you in the future.